A key objective of HCRA is to facilitate capacity building and collaborations across the Hunter New England. HCRA offers a variety of initiatives that support our members to conduct high-quality, translational cancer research, with the ultimate aim of improving outcomes for cancer patients.
HCRA members have access to a range of research support services via our Flagship Programs, HCRA Operations Team and partnering institutions to support their research endeavours.
HCRA Research Support Services
- Grant application and post-award administrative support: for further details on how HCRA can help our members with concept development, facilitating collaborations and administrative support please refer to the guidelines for our HCRA Research Support Services (PDF 190KB)
- Conference travel support: to assist our research higher degree students and early-mid career researchers with presenting their research at national and international scientific meetings. These opportunities are made available throughout the year and advertised on the Grant Opportunities page of this website
- Participation in the tumour-specific multidisciplinary team meetings (MTDs) held across the HNE LHD. Further details on this activity can be found here
Partnering Institutions Researcher Resources
HCRA members can be connected with the many researcher resources and core facilities available through our valued partnering institutions, the University of Newcastle (UON), Hunter New England Health (HNE LHD) and Hunter Medical Research Institute (HMRI).
- UON Researcher Resources offer research funding opportunities, research performance data, scientific support services, and ethics and compliance procedures for research projects.
- HMRI Researcher Services include access to clinical research design, information technology and statistical support specialists via the CREDITSS team, health research economists, first-class imaging facilities and much more.
- offering local grant and scholarship funding opportunities, educational resources and knowledge sharing portal aimed at facilitating research support and development within the health system.
Hunter Cancer Biobank
The Hunter Cancer Biobank (HCB) is a joint initiative of Hunter Cancer Research Alliance (HCRA), Pathology North (Hunter New England) and Hunter New England Local Health District (HNE LHD). Located at the Hunter Medical Research Institute, John Hunter Hospital Campus, in Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia, the HCB boasts high quality biological specimens, with all research specimens validated by our very own in-house anatomical pathologist prior to release to researchers. Find out more...